So, I had to rely an event that happened the other day:
Let me preface it by saying I have a propensity for colorful language - which is a nice way of saying I curse a blue streak. Mind you, it’s nothing I’m particularly proud of and I’m aware of it but, I haven’t been able to correct it. Too many years of living in and around New York and putting up with the daily indignities that go along with the frenetic pace of life here. Usually, I would show the discipline necessary to correct such a bad habit but, this is one of those things that hasn’t made it to the top of the list, yet. This of course will probably change when (and if) I ever have children otherwise I will be further embarrassed and my children considered foul-mouthed brats for taking up a parent’s bad habits.
Anyway, people from all over the country come to New York like it’s some big, gleaming beacon of success to live and work here (you know, like that stupid Frank Sinatra song they play after the Yankee games - New York, New York).
So, when does one officially become a New Yorker? What is the moment when a person casts off the shackles of their upbringing and embraces the true New York attitude?
Being a native, I would never know the answer were it not for the woman whom I’ve shared my life with over the past six plus years.
Living with someone, means after a time you take on something of the other person’s habits, it’s just a consequence of being together. So, the glorious creature who has deemed me worthy of her company hails from the Midwest. I’ve been back to the mother ship a few times and the sensibilities are striking. Get off the east coast and people just aren’t as ready to elbow you out of the way (maybe they aren’t in as much of a rush).
Well, the other day we were in the car driving somewhere. Another driver (either behind me or on the other side of the road) honked his horn for no apparent reason or for some imagined slight (maybe I wasn’t driving to suit his tastes).
“Aw, F**k you.”
It wasn’t me who uttered it. In that moment, I knew that my companion really was a New Yorker, there’s no question in my mind. It didn’t shock me or anything of the sort (although I have admonished her for picking up a bad habit of mine - in stark contrast to her projected demeanor) but, there was no question that before we were together those long 6 years ago - it wouldn’t have been the automatic response to a slight it has become.
And of course, you didn’t hear from me (so, don’t mention it for your own sake) as I’m sure she wouldn’t be pleased me talking out of class but, it was a funny moment.
It reminded me of Robin William’s first comedy album where at one point he did the following:
“New York Echo:”
“Heeellllllooooooooo!”
“SHUT THE F**K UP!
No comments:
Post a Comment